Friday 2 June 2017

Tuesday 24th Jan 2017




As we sat with our early morning cuppas Tamsin asked if I had my camera with me, which I did. Unusual I thought, but didn’t think any more about it. I asked where her Mum was as she normally joined us. Tamsin said that her Mum wasn’t coming as she had not been sleeping too well and that if she didn’t have her light on not to disturb her. Again I didn’t think anymore about this though I should have. We set off in the truck and entered the airstrip, similar to what we’d done before but this time actually going onto the run way. Mungai mentioned that some Waterbuck had managed to get through the fencing and that they would need to be cleared. We then stopped outside the hut where Will, (the owner of Lewa Wilderness), was in his flying jacket. As we stopped he said to me “I have a seat looking for a pilot”, odd I thought as I turned to Tamsin. She said “it’s your Birthday present from Mum – Happy Birthday”. Talk about stitched up like a Kipper!? Apparently ever since we had arrived they’d been trying to pick the best day to go up and there had been lots of signals and whispers going on behind my back. The day chosen was superb with little wind and very clear views of Mt. Kenya – fantastic.

 There was enough room for two so Tamsin was coming with me. The front cockpit of the Waco bi-plane is a bit of a squeeze especially when you’re bulked up with, albeit thin, flying jackets. Tamsin had the door side as she would be taking most of the pictures. Decked out with leather helmets we took off rising slowly over the hills and down through the valleys at a height of less than 4 metres above the tree tops. Will asked over the headphones if we were okay with that – two thumbs went up! Seeing the conservancy and the adjoining properties at this height not only adds another dimension but also gives you an appreciation of the various types of vegetation and terrain. We landed after coming in over the house and guest cottages and taxied back under the hangar – wow, wow, wow! This has now got me thinking that maybe I do want that Gyrocopter I’ve thought about every since I saw James Bond using one years ago. I think the Healey needs to be finished and sold first though.

After breakfast we headed out again and went looking for the Leopard. We saw lots of Giraffe, Antelope, Elephants, Zebra and Rhino, but sadly no Leopard.

After lunch we decided to take some R & R by the pool.  We noticed that the birds were coming down to the pool to drink and wash. Tamsin went back to the room for her camera and started taking photos of the Superb Starlings, Mousebirds and various Weaverbirds.




On the evening drive Mungai took us back towards the park entrance and a wooded area. There we spotted Grey Headed Kingfishers, a large troop of Baboons and a Green Wood-Hoopoe. We then started to head back towards the swamp area and looking for the elusive Leopard. We looked hard and found a pair of Verreaux’s Eagle-Owls and some immature Martial Eagles, but no Leopard. Mungai then drove out of a gate towards the staff areas and a wooded area there. A truck was already parked up looking at a prone Leopard. As we waited the large male stirred and started to wake ready for the evening hunt. Tamsin took some superb photos. After about 20 mins the Leopard strode off into the grass. We were now very happy bunnys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment